Monday, December 6, 2010

VANILLA EXTRACT

Hi Everyone...  While I was visiting John'aLee's blog at Scrappy Appleyard, we were chatting about Vanilla Extract she got... I was telling her that I make my own Vanilla... I had got the recipe from "Atlantic Spice Shop" in Turro MA., It is located on Cape Cod.... I then got many request on how to make Vanilla Extract... So, I decided to put the recipe here on my Blog... Please read through the end of the recipe, because I will give you some extra tips.... It makes wonderful Christmas gifts.... :)

VANILLA EXTRACT

20 Vanilla Beans
1/2 gallon Vodka or Brandy
1 gallon jar

Split Vanilla beans with a sharp knife. Add beans and liquor to container. Seal jar and shake. Cure for 3-4 months, inverting jar twice a week. Extract should be rich in Vanilla flavor and more concentrated than commercial extracts.
FOR SMALLER AMOUNTS:
Use 1 bean for every 2oz. of liquor.
Shake twice a week. Cure at least 3 weeks.

**** I uses St. Remy Napoleon Brandy... If you can not find this Brandy then ask for French Brandy .... The Salesperson at the Spice Shop said to use Brandy because it will give a richer color and a better flavor...I will add extra Vanilla beans because I love the stronger vanilla flavor... I get my jars at yard sales or at Bed Bath and Beyond... I find jars with lids that will clip tight.... If you click on the picture you can see the stopper that I used... I got the stopper at Bed Bath and Beyond..... The longer you cure the better it is and it is Wonderful in thing that you bake... The bottle in the picture has cured about 2 years... I make at least 2 to 3 of these jars at a time so I could use the Vanilla as gifts to friend... Have fun with this and enjoy :)

4 comments:

John'aLee said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. I had already forwarded your email to my friend...so I'm glad you posted this on your blog for others. I've never heard of making one's own vanilla extract from scratch.
Have a sweet day my friend!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Thanks for this recipe. I made this years ago and lost the recipe!!! This makes a wonderful gift and so full of flavor!!!

Carolyn :))))))))

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing that recipe. I will surely give it a whirl when we get to NC. Or when I am no longer working. Right now I want to concentrate on the fun things.

M and M plus 3 said...

I use vanilla like crazy sometimes. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I've never heard of making your own. Now I need to find somewhere to purchase the beans!